Sunday 27 March 2011

Prawn and Green Bean Couscous

Today I cooked... (which I how I think many posts on this blog will begin), prawn and green bean couscous. This recipe came from The Food Doctor everyday diet, and I must say I am really impressed with the flavours and textures achieved from such few ingredients. As my favourite cook, Gizzi Erskine says: flavour replaces fat! Speaking of fat, this meal is only 228 calories, yet is incredibly filling, refreshing, zingy and down right good to eat. I have served this with a basic salad of spinach leaves, cucumber and grated carrot.
50g (uncooked) couscous
100ml of stock (I used chicken, but fish/vegetable stock would work)
1/4 lemon juice
25g (one cup) of cooked and peeled king prawns
25g green beans
Fresh parsley
salt and pepper
  1. Put the couscous into a shallow bowl, then pour over boiling stock. Cover and allow absorption
  2. While the couscous cooks, cook the green beans in a steamer.
  3. When the couscous is cooked, mix in the prawns, lemon juice, herbs and beans. Season with salt and pepper
  4. Serve with a mixed salad
N.B. I had to microwave the couscous for about 1 minute to dry it out a little, so using a tiny bit less stock may help get fluffier couscous

No comments:

Post a Comment